The air in your workplace or house can seriously prove harmful for your health. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declared that air inside homes can be severely polluted than outdoor air, so don’t think you’re safe just because you are inside your home. Air pollution inside homes can cause long term illness and severe health issues.
The sources that release gas particles in the air are the main causes of air pollution. Tobacco smoke and wood-burning stoves are some other sources of unhealthy air.
Here are some significant sources of inside air pollution:
We spoke to the mold experts at Elite Moisture Control and found out that mold is one of the primary dangers that can affect your health in terms of indoor air quality. Mold is present everywhere. It needs sufficient moisture to grow, and dampness can be found in just about every home which creates an ideal atmosphere for mold spores to grow.
Mold can cause asthma problems and activate allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to mold allergy. It also gives rise to upper and lower respiratory problems. When people exposed to airborne mold particles, they may experience irritation of lungs, throat, eyes, and skin. Besides that, hypersensitivity pneumonitis is a disease that is specifically caused by indoor mold in people who have a weak immune system.
Radon is a radioactive gas that escapes from the rocks and soil in your home. Radon gets into your home through small openings like drains and walls etc. It is highly related to lung cancer. The exposure of radon can cause death in smokers.
Fuel-burning stoves, heaters, and other such appliances are the causes of the release of carbon monoxide. It can cause the blockage of movement of oxygen inside the body. Besides, headache, dizziness, extreme tiredness, heart problems are all the effects of carbon monoxide. It may cause death if someone exposed to a high level of it.
There are around 4000 chemicals in cigarette smoke. They can cause severe breathing problems because of the presence of carcinogens and other chemicals.
Pet allergens are small and they suspend in the air for longer times. They can easily attach to your furniture, fabrics, etc. that can cause asthma and other breathing problems.
Solutions and suggestions
- Buy radon and carbon monoxide detectors for your home.
- Get an indoor air quality test done.
- Fix all the leaks.
- Clean the places regularly where mold commonly grows.
- If mold is found, get a mold remediation service
- Keep your pets away from your bedrooms.
- Do not use appliances that release carbon monoxide.
- Don’t smoke inside.