Many individuals think of quitting the use of drugs, but it is not just it. You will have to go through different withdrawal symptoms during the process. The Detoxification process is not just about will power and controlling your cravings; it is about going through chronic pain.
Some experience mild withdrawal symptoms while some experience severe symptoms; it depends upon the drug you have been using. It can be dangerous to detox at home because such symptoms can also be life-threatening. This symptom is the reason many doctors suggest medical rehab center for detoxification.
People who are addicted to central nervous system depressants are especially advised not to detox at home. Even NIDA recommends that patients addicted to benzodiazepines should opt for the inpatient detoxification process. Symptoms of withdrawal for quitting these drugs can be dangerous to life. So it can be dangerous to detoxify at home.
Similarly, if you are detoxing from alcohol, you must go for inpatient treatment since you may experience delirium tremens. This symptom is life-threatening and requires medical support.
Delirium tremens system can start from two to three days after the last drink. It usually continues up to ten days but can also stay for about a month. You may develop a sense of extreme confusion, hallucination, restlessness, tremors, a burst of energy, deep sleep, sudden mood swings, and seizures during the symptom. If you are a chain drinker or long-term drinker, you are more likely to go through delirium tremens. About 5-15 percent of people have died who developed these symptoms.
Let us now learn more about the risk:
- Overdose: The medications that you are taking may be appropriate for now but can be overwhelming later. The dose should be manipulated and changed according to your body condition. Because if you overdose, it can be deadly.
- Mental health problem: During the time of withdrawal, it is customary to suffer from mental conditions like anger, irritation, anxiety, etc. But if you are a patient of mental disorder from before, then it can worsen the condition. Underlying mental health problems co-occurring with addiction withdrawal symptoms can threaten your life.
- Relapse: Detox is a challenging process that always results in physical and mental symptoms. The intensity of the symptoms depends on the severity of the addiction. These agitation, discomfort, and cravings cannot be treated just by strong will power. It requires proper medication and counseling; otherwise, there lays a risk of relapse.
- Medical issues: If you are a patient with underlying medical conditions, then things can get complicated. In some cases, the patient is not even aware of the medical condition as they have developed due to addiction. As they have not diagnosed the problem, they might convert it into the chronic medical issue.
- Benzodiazepine risk: Withdrawal symptoms caused by quitting drugs like Xenon, Valium, and Klonopin are in real danger. They face more difficulty, like panic attacks, hyperventilation, and seizure. They also develop a condition of psychosis and hurt themselves. This condition requires supervised assistance.
There are many serious risks involved with the detoxification process, so one should try to get medical support. In many cases, people get demotivated as a result of multiple failed attempts and recurring relapse conditions. Learn more about addiction by clicking the link http://femmeaddiction.com/ .