Obesity (obesiti) is considered a major world problem. This is because most of the developed countries in this world are facing the same issue. The population number of obese people are growing bigger every year. This is a major concern since being obese might increase the chances of getting other complications such as high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, sleep apnea and many more. In order to fight obesity, we need to address the causes first. There are a lot of causes and factors that can contributes to being obese. The person that has this factor is at a higher risk of obesity. The list below shows the type of person with higher risk of being obese:
- People with unhealthy diet
We all know that foods and drinks are also the main culprit in this problem. People that love to eat and drink unhealthy food will most likely end up being obese. There are a lot of examples of unhealthy food. This includes junk food, fast food and also sweetened food. Most of the companies that produce these foods will design it to be delicious and last longer. This means that a lot of unhealthy chemicals were used during its production, which means it is unhealthy to our body. Not just that, drinks such as carbonated drinks and sweet drinks can also make someone fat.
- Physically inactive person
Physical inactivity is also the main reason that contributes to obesity. People who like to sit in their chair for 24 hours will obviously end up being overweight. Physical activity is very important to help burn all those calories and fat in your body. If you neglect this activity, your weight will keep on increasing over time. Besides, people with a busy schedule will usually have some difficulties finding their leisure time. This can also contribute to that person being inactive physically.
- People with family history of obesity
Yes, you heard it right. Obesity can be transferred down to the future generation. It means that you are likely to become obese if any of your parent is obese. It is quite sad to be born in this type of condition, but it still can be changed. People with this factor can still fight obesity by changing their environment and lifestyle.
- People with some medical conditions
Some medical conditions such as hypothyroidism, polycystic ovary syndrome and even the rare Prader-Willi syndrome can cause obesity. These diseases interfere with some of our hormones that control our body metabolism.
- People who are taking a certain medication
When talking about disease, there will always be medication to help fight the disease. However, some medications can interfere with our metabolism or increase our appetite. These include drugs such as antidepressant, antipsychotic, steroid and also some diabetes drugs.
Can obesity be cured?
Obesity is indeed a growing concern, but it is without cure. To help fight obesity, you need to have a strong determination as this process will be a long one. The list below are some possible ways that you can do to help cure obesity:
- Exercise regularly. Physical activity of at least 30 minutes for 5 days a week is recommended. Remember to choose an activity that is suitable with your lifestyle.
- Eat healthy food. You can refer to the food pyramid or dietician to help you figure out what to eat and what not to eat.
- Quit smoking. Smoking affects your health. Reducing or quitting altogether might contribute to your goals.
- Stop drinking. Drinking a lot of alcohol can also cause a lot of health problems. Hence, it is a wise idea to stop your drinking habit if any.