When we talk about dentistry, people think it is just deals with one part of the body. But to have a career in dentistry, you must understand that there is so much to learn. There are many branches in the dentistry and to have a career in it you need to understand them better. You can learn and specialize in any one of the specialize sector in the dentistry. You can offer general services or specialized one after you qualify and open something like Vancouver dentistry or any others.
Branches of dentistry
- Endodontics: This branch deals with dental tissue and pulp that surrounds the root of the tooth. Most Vancouver dentistry and others usually deal with diagnosing the pain and perform the root canal and other related treatment procedures. The two years of study of endodontics makes you a specialist.
- Pediatric Dentistry: This specialization is age-defined division where you can offer services to infants and kids up to their adolescence years. Techniques and procedures of general dentistry are adapted to be applied to children.
- Prosthodontics: This branch of dentistry is specializing in installation and replacement of teeth as well as artificial part of the mouth. It includes diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and maintenance of oral function, as well as comfort of artificial teeth and parts.
- Periodontics: The dentist in this division focus on prevention, diagnosis, maintenance and treatment of surrounding tissues of teeth.
- Dental public health: Also termed as DPH, this group specializes in prevention and control of dental diseases. This is not a specialty of clinic but this division promotes dental and oral health through awareness and community efforts.
- Oral and Maxillofacial: This is actually three divisions Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. The first division specializes in diseases that affect oral and maxillofacial area through laboratory exam. The second one deals with interpretation of images and results of medical exams. And the third branch is concerned with surgical treatment of injuries and diseases in these regions.