These days, life feels more stressful than ever before. We’re living in a relentlessly fast-paced world and often, it feels like we can’t keep up. There aren’t enough hours in the day and it seems like we have to be everywhere at once. But what can we do? How can we manage to lower stress and improve our mental health when we already feel like we’re being stretched to our limit? As time goes on, more and more people are looking towards the vitamin and supplement industry to find the relief and sense of well-being they deserve. Below is a list of 5 supplements that may help lower your stress levels and boost your mood. Keep in mind as with any new regimen, you should always consult with your doctor first.
1. Magnesium: Studies show that taking this mineral can help regulate cortisol levels and lower stress. Cortisol is the hormone that spikes when we are in ‘fight or flight’ mode. While important should you ever encounter a dangerous situation, a chronically high level of cortisol in our system leads to ongoing feelings of stress and anxiety.
2. Zinc: Zinc is another mineral that has been shown to increase brain function and regulate mood. Oftentimes, doctors will combine zinc supplements with antidepressants to better treat patients with depression.
3. Probiotics: These capsules of live microorganisms not only help with digestive problems but can also improve your mental well-being. Because of the well-known correlation between gut health and mood, probiotics have been shown to alleviate stress and depression.
4. B-Complex: These supplements pack all 8 B vitamins (thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), biotin (B7), folate (B9) and cobalamin (B12)) into one capsule. B-complex has been proven to boost your mood, improve brain function and reduce symptoms of anxiety.
5. Vitamin D: Low vitamin D is linked with higher levels of depression and anxiety. While we naturally get vitamin D from sunlight, those who live in climates where it’s not always sunny may feel the effects of the lack of this essential vitamin.
In addition to these supplements, one of the best things someone can do to stay yong and healthy is to make sure you’re getting enough sleep. Not getting enough sleep is one of the leading causes of someone’s health heading downhill. Getting enough sleep, reducing stress and getting moderate exercise can do wonders before even reaching for the vitamins.